Wilted Mustard Greens
yield: Makes 12 servings active time: 45 minutes
• 4 lb mustard greens, stems and coarse ribs discarded
• 2 large garlic cloves, minced
• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
Cook mustard greens in 2 batches in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water , stirring to submerge, until wilted and tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer with tongs to a large bowl of cold water to stop cooking. Drain greens in a colander, pressing to squeeze out excess moisture, then coarsely chop.
Cook garlic in butter in a 4- to 5-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add boiled greens, salt, and pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes.
Cooks’ note: Greens can be boiled and chopped 1 day ahead and chilled in a sealed plastic bag. You will need to cook them in garlic butter about 10 minutes (instead of 5) when made ahead.
MUSTARD GREEN CASSEROLE
2 c. boiled mustard greens 1 med. onion
1/2 lb. bacon 1 egg
1/2 c. cornmeal 1/2 c. Bisquick
1 1/4 c. milk
Boil mustard greens until very tender and drain. Cut the bacon in pieces and fry until it begins to crisp. Set aside.
Saute onions in bacon drippings. Drain all the bacon drippings from the onions. Mix mustard, onion and bacon and spread in a pie plate. Set aside.
Beat the egg in a separate bowl and add 1/4 cup milk. Add the cornmeal, Bisquick and the rest of the milk, a little at a time. Mix well and pour over mustard mixture. Bake in a 400 degree preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
STIR FRIED BEEF AND MUSTARD GREENS
3/4 lb. boneless beef sirloin, partially frozen 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. mustard seeds 1 tsp. sugar
1 lb. mustard greens, washed & stems removed 2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. finely chopped green onion 2 cloves garlic, slivered
1 c. beef or chicken broth 2 tbsp. cornstarch
2-3 c. hot, cooked brown or white rice
1. Thinly slice the beef. In wok or large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium high heat. Add mustard seeds; cover and heat until seeds pop. Add mustard greens and stir fry until greens are tender. Remove to bowl.
2. Heat remaining oil in wok. Add beef, green onion and garlic. Stir fry until meat is well browned, about 3 minutes. Remove to bowl with mustard greens.
3. In small bowl with wire whisk, stir together broth, cornstarch, soy sauce and sugar. Add to wok; cook, stirring until thickened. Stir in beef mixture and greens; heat to boiling. Serve with rice.
Mustard Greens Recipe
• 1/2 cup thinly sliced onions 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 Tbsp olive oil 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon dark sesame oil 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 1 pound mustard greens, washed and torn into large pieces
• 2 to 3 Tbsp chicken broth or vegetable broth (vegetarian option)
1 In a large sauté pan, sauté onions in olive oil over medium heat until the onions begin to brown and caramelize, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook a minute more, until fragrant.
2 Add the mustard greens and broth and cook until the mustard greens are just barely wilted. Toss with sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper.